Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Ultimate Litmus Test

What if it IS True? Blog
Discovering, wrestling with, and trying like crazy to live Gospel virtue.

04/10/14

John 8:51-59

Jesus said to the Jews:
“Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever keeps my word will never see death.”
So the Jews said to him,
“Now we are sure that you are possessed.
Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say,
‘Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.’
Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died?
Or the prophets, who died?
Who do you make yourself out to be?”
Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is worth nothing;
but it is my Father who glorifies me,
of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’
You do not know him, but I know him.
And if I should say that I do not know him,
I would be like you a liar.
But I do know him and I keep his word.
Abraham your father rejoiced to see my day;
he saw it and was glad.”
So the Jews said to him,
“You are not yet fifty years old and you have seen Abraham?”
Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you,
before Abraham came to be, I AM.”
So they picked up stones to throw at him;
but Jesus hid and went out of the temple area.


What if it is true is all about finding virtue, living that virtue and making it look like something. Evidence is what the world is looking for. Unfortunately there can be those who like the Pharisees refused to accept the evidence. Nonetheless, Jesus tells us to let our good works be seen so that God can be glorified. So that needs to be our goal. We need to ask ourselves that question. What can we do that we be obvious enough that it's God in our life not just us?

Christ is clear that all that he has done is for the glory of God. Now he also claims to be God which makes the Pharisees crazy, but he shows the separation of the trinity while defining the oneness he has with God. We can't do that necessarily, but we can do this. We can do everything we do as if we were doing it for God. Do we have that attitude? Would it change the way we do things if we did?

Here's a little exercise that will begin to strengthen your virtue. In everything we do we should simply apply this quick litmus test. Just ask yourself, will this glorify God or will it not? If you can honestly answer yes to it being God glorifying then it's got to be OK. Now don't delude yourself to justify crazy notions like “God wants me to be happy”. That's a road to you know where. Be honest and disciplined. But ask yourself that question constantly.

Good luck and God bless,
Leo Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment